Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Altered Purse Marie Antoinette

First attempt at an altered purse.  This summer I took a class for graduate credit called Art Materials and Exploration for Art Teachers. It was held at the Steelworkers studio in downtown Joliet, IL in the studio space of Marsha Lega. So for one of our assignments  we were asked to bring in a pair of shoes or a purse to alter. I had several thrift store purses just waiting to be transformed.  The first thing we did was to rub down our pieces with lacquer thinner to create some tooth, then we added gesso. Acrylic paints and gel medium to finish.
I was inspired to create this Marie Antoinette design because I had just been collecting images for a Marie Antoinette chunky swap so that was fresh in my mind. I just decided to wing it and start painting her free hand in a loose simplified manner, not being too worried about reality or shading, just having fun with is and that was the emphasis of the instructor -to explore, try things, and enjoy it. For my backgrounds I looked through some of my scrapbook papers for some patterns and decided on the colors I wanted to use and filled in my space.

No comments:

Post a Comment